Before you put your home on the market…
- Get it ready. Whether you need a handyman or contractor, make sure it is “show worthy” when it goes on the market. You want to look great coming out of the gate!
- Know where you are moving to. Whether it’s a rental or a home purchase, do your homework on costs, time frames and availability.
- Have an idea of what you are taking, selling or giving away.
- Start packing. Find a space whether it be the garage or a spare bedroom to start storing what is going to be moved.
- Do a deep clean of your home…Buyers notice!
Before you are under contract..….
- Tackle regular maintenance items – Here a few that come up in inspections all the time – Replacing refrigerator water filters and AC air filter(s), any burnt out bulbs, making sure remotes work, etc.
- Call moving and estate sales companies and schedule a time for them to give you a quote and find out what their availability is. And a number of charities pickup at your doorstep!
- Make sure you have the paperwork for any warranties or maintenance plans that may be in place. This gives buyers a chance to review it during their inspection period and find out what is covered and are there any associated fees.
- Start removing. This includes paint that hasn’t been used in the last year, any chemicals or cleaners that are opened, especially if you don’t know how old it is!
- Make it clear what personal property is excluded and what intended to stay…Otherwise, it can get messy!
Once you are under contract…
- Know your contract deadlines and when inspections and appraisals are scheduled – It will help you plan your time. Typical closing timeframe is 4-6 weeks.
- Make a contact list of your utility and service vendors (I.e. electric, pool, lawn, etc.) to pass along to the buyers.
- Moving out of the area? Contact schools, doctors, vets, organizations you belong to, etc.
- Start scheduling. This is especially important for movers, charity donations, final service and billing for utilities and home vendors.
- Contact the Post Office and online vendors for your change of address when you are a couple weeks out from closing.