10 Items for Your Walkthrough Checklist
Before you sign for that beautiful home you are about to purchase, make sure you do a walkthrough of the property. This is typically done either the day before or the day of closing. Here are 10 good things to cover…
- Make sure all repair items have been addressed. Request receipts!
- If the seller is there, it is good to ask as many questions about the mechanics of the house – how does the sprinkler work, where are the landscape light timers, etc.
- Water Check – Turn on faucets/tubs/showers; Check drains underneath the cabinets; Flush toilets
- Make sure the AC/Heat works – Find out how to replace the air filter too!
- Check the appliances – Turn on the oven/range; Open the refrigerator (it should be empty and clean); Run the disposal
- Open cabinets/drawers/doors
- Test lights
- Completely walk inside and outside the property to make sure all is good…For example – Items to convey have not been removed; Miscellaneous debris has been cleaned up/cleared out (the garage and the attic are notorious for remaining items); No new interior or exterior issues
- Check the shed or any other detached buildings to make sure all is good there too.
- Confirm the current services for the property. For some, it’s just a phone call to transfer to your name. But others, like a termite bond, may include a fee to transfer.